10 Things I Obsess About
Posted by KatieSoo
1. Sushi – the real kind, which means traditional omakase (Chef’s Choice). Every so often, I’ll indulge myself in an all American bastardizing of the Japanese cuisine, but in general, nothing comes close to an amazing fresh piece of toro, albacore belly, or uni. Best ones I’ve had were from Sugarfish and Sasabune. Nothing beats that buttery sensation.
2. Space: Stars, constellations, planets, black holes, string theory, Stephen Hawking (A Brief History of Time, read it), the moon, and my favorite star – Alberio, the firth largest star in the constellation Cygnus. For the record, I still believe Pluto is a planet.
3. Historical jewelry: I’m probably one of the few who just don’t give a shit about diamonds. I pine over trinkets that carry historical value. My pieces range from antique Longine watches from 1850s, French perfume button rings, Navajo silver bangles, turquoise anything, old Greek currency, and my next one (on my wishlist) Paladin meteorite pendant. I smell of nerd, I know.
4. Food: Holy shit. If you know me, I don’t even need to talk about this. Hell hath no fury like a hungry Katie. Trust me, I eat everything. Plus, I’ll try anything at least once. If you love me, you’ll feed me.
5. Michelangelo: I remember first seeing the ‘Pieta’ in a textbook as a kid, and thinking – wow, I can almost feel the wind rustle her robe. From that moment on, I plowed through every page of text I could find on him, studied his sculptures, and memorized his work. When visiting Rome and Florence, I traced the steps of his work from David, Pieta, to the unfinished Slaves. Michelangelo is genius.
6. Traveling: I would live on a plane if I could. I have this insatiable curiosity for different cultures, fashion, food, and traditions – there just isn’t a better way to do that than to travel. I’m not a fan of tours. You’ll usually find me in a cafe with a copy of Lonely Planet or Rick Steve’s. My momsie is my best friend & travel buddy. We’ve trekked through Stonehenge, London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Singapore, Beijing, Hong Kong….the list grows every year.
7. Books: Bookworm by nature. Love books, and in particular, children’s books. I own a few first editions of my favorites, though I still haven’t gotten my hands on ‘Harold and the Purple Crayon’. Soon, very soon! Kindles can never replace the feeling of a turning pages in a real paperback. We should bottle the smell of books and gift them to the Kindle users.
8. MasterChef: This show is better than crack. There is nothing hotter than to seeing everyday people come in and compete, learning from some of the best chefs in the world. I secretly have a soft spot for Gordon Ramsey. Look, at least he’s not as mean as Joe Bastianich who spends every episode clawing at contestant’s plating.
9. Boots: Sadly, I own more boots than jeans. No matter rain or shine, I’ll always find a way to wear boots. Whenever I travel, I wear boots – not tennis shoes or flats. My LA friends swear it’s an SF bay area thing, but I’m not sure I agree. Or maybe I’m in denial.
10: Cooking: I absolutely love my crock pot. If it were a man, I’d marry it. Cooking is such a big part of my culture and life. I find simple pleasures in inviting friends over, making dinner, trying new recipes, and sharing all of that over a glass of wine. Yea, I watch MasterChef way too much!